I thought you and your members may be interested to hear about the Society of Biology’s amateur photography competition which is now open for entries; this year’s theme is‘Feeding Life’.
Food provides the foundation to life. Not only can we not live without food, but the wrong diet can have serious health consequences. Biology research and field work play a vital role in understanding how all organisms on the planet receive the energy they need to keep on living.
We are seeking original photographs that encapsulate the topic ‘Feeding Life’. Your photograph could address a challenging issue like food security and waste, or malnutrition, obesity, and other diet-linked diseases. It could provide insight into the feeding behaviour of a plant or animal species including predators and parasites. Or it could illustrate how we are manipulating our diets using GM and other biological techniques. Whether illustrated on a global, organismal, cellular or molecular scale, your photograph should draw attention to the topic of food and biology in a unique and thought-provoking way.
Please feel free to distribute this information amongst your members, or you if you have any questions get in touch directly with me.
There are 2 categories in the competition, each with a cash prize:
• Photographer of the Year (over 18) – £1000 top prize
• Young Photographer of the Year (under 18) – £500 top prize and a copy of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
More information can be found at https://www.societyofbiology.org/get-involved/awards-and-competitions/photography-competition
2012 winners can be found here https://www.societyofbiology.org/get-involved/awards-and-competitions/photography-competition/2012-winners
The deadline for entries is midnight on the 31st July.
- Entrants may either enter the Photographer of the Year category or the Young Photographer of the Year category.
- Entrants may enter up to three images into the competition
- Entrants must fill in all section of the entry form which must accompany any images entered into the competition.
- Entrants must refer to the full terms and conditions before entering
How to enter
To enter the competition, please complete the 2013 Photography competition entry formand either:
- Email the form along with your image/s to email@example.com
- Send an electronic version of the images by post to Photography Competition, Society of Biology, Charles Darwin House, 12 Roger Street, London WC1N 2JU