The Walker Trophy
There are two Walker trophy competitions each year, one for prints and one for projected digital images.
The trophy for each competition is awarded based on the results accumulated over the three rounds of each competition.
Each image will be awarded a score out of 20 points. If there are multiple images scoring a maximum of 20 points, on the night, then the judge will be asked to pick their favourite image to be the winner of that round.
Whilst up to 4 images can be entered for each round of the competition only the 2 highest scores for each person will count towards their total score. The number of images shown of each person will depend on the number of entries on the evening. It is common that only three images are show and sometimes only two. It is quite rare that all four images are shown.
The member with the highest total score after the three rounds will be declared the winner. If there is a tie, the number of “favourite” images the member has will be taken into account and if that still brings about a tie then the highest number of 20’s will be the winner.
- An image can only be entered twice across both competitions
- An image can only be entered a second time if it has scored 17 or below the first time it has been judged
- A different edit doesn’t count as a new/different image
- Members are encouraged to enter images taken within the previous two years. If too many images are being entered that are over two years old the committee are likely to impose a two-year rule. This is to encourage members to continually take fresh photos.
Winner’s BonusThe winner of a Walker trophy will gain the equivalent of one certificate of merit (Exhibition) to advance their exhibition status. A limiting factor will be: –
- To gain entry to Class ‘B’, a Class ‘C’ worker must also gain at least one certificate from the Exhibition.
- To gain entry to Class ‘A’, a Class ‘B’ worker must also gain at least three certificates from the Exhibition.
The maximum mount size is 20” x 16” or 500mm x 400mm.
Digital Image Specifications
- Image Size: maximum 1920 pixels horizontal, and 1024 pixels vertical.
- File Format: jpg
Digital Image Filename
The filename must be of the format “XX_Your Name_Image Title”
- XX is the number of your image in order of preference, eg 01, 02, 03, 04
- Your Name is, of course, your name, eg. Matt Russell (spaces are allowed between names)
- Image Title is the name of the image, eg. From the Top Deck of the Bus (spaces are allowed between words)
- Please use an underscore in between the number, your name, and the title. An underscore is “_”
- An example would be 03_Matt Russell_From the Top Deck of the Bus
Digital Image Submission
- Your images must be submitted by sending them to email@example.com
- All images must be named correctly or they may not be shown
- The deadline for the competition will be announced in the weekly newsletter.
- Many digital competitions are now judged over Zoom and need to be sent to the judge a few days in advance so entries on the evening are unlikely to be accepted.